The One to Count On...

Residents Reminded to Check Chimneys Before Using Fireplaces

Posted: Friday, October 16th, 2009 at 6:25 am
Author:

Many residents began lighting up fireplaces as the cold weather has moved in, but before it gets much later in the season, homeowners should be making sure their chimneys are cleaned. Knoxville Fire Chief Mike Roberts says it is recommended residents have their chimneys cleaned and inspected by a professional before lighting logs this season.

Doug Van Gorkom, Pella’s Fire Chief echoes that statement and adds that even homes with triple-walled chimneys can be at risk for a chimney fire if there is enough pitch and tar inside. Van Gorkom also reminds residents to be cautious of sparks that can jump out of open doors on fireplaces and start items on fire inside homes.