The One to Count On...

PBIS Seems to Be Working Well in Knoxville’s Elementary Schools

Posted: Saturday, November 27th, 2010 at 6:26 am
Author: KNIA/KRLS News-Samantha Smith

[simage=2508,400,y,center]
The Knoxville School Board received an update and presentation at their meeting this week about the Positive Behavior and Intervention Supports program that is being used at Northstar and West Elementary. Principal Mike Montgomery talked to the board about how the teachers, staff and administration work together to teach good behavior to all students the same way they teach core subjects such as reading or math. Superintendent Dr. Randy Flack says PBIS has been very successful so far in creating a lot of good behavior in Knoxville students. Montgomery says approximately 93% of elementary students behave well all the time and the remaining 7% just needs some reinforcement.